Monday, April 6, 2009

To the Teeth

I like it when my gums hurt.
After the dentist
The pain sits right below
The surface of that pink
Membrane and pressing
Against my teeth
With my teeth draws
The faintest memory tangs
Of blood. I like it when I remember
Really stupid things I did,
Like smash up the front
Of my car because I was too
Busy looking at the girl in
The passenger seat who
I never saw again after that night.
The pain sits right below
My tonsils like I could
Cough it out if I tried real hard.
I like it when I’m petting the cat
And she suddenly decides
She doesn’t want to be touched
Anymore and there are claws
And teeth in my arm but only
For a second. I like that she
Has the right to decide this
At any time. All this pain
Of close contact lights my skin
Up like current, pulls me right
To the surface of my being
And taunts me with the possibility
That it might never heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment