Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Whale Less Traveled

Just another silly piece of writing about whales

Two whales diverged in a forest
and sorry I could not follow both,
could not watch these great transports
of song and common breath, could not
swim beside them lumbering and gliding
all at once to the lengths I'll never know,

I dove, swimming deeper into the same
axis point from where I saw the whales
push off, tails like continents pumping
the water behind them. Neither whale
to follow, I followed no distance and sought
instead the depths of where I already
was, depths I had no breath to reach
but pushed until my lungs began to find
the oxygen in the water, until my fingers
webbed and my feet stuck together like
a continent and I doubted if I should ever
come back. If I should ever turn back.

Two whales diverged in a blue forest,
one whale submerged into a wet-born breath,
one man lost himself in the airless depths,
one man, one whale - and that was all
the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment