Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Courtyard Marriot outside Trenton


Standing on a porcelain husk
in the Courtyard
Marriot outside Trenton
I am naked and cannot bear 
travel, soaked through my clothes.

I cannot scrub off the odor of ages
one through one hundred,
the grease from Southwest 
seats, all thoughts of passing
through and through and terminals.

Outside is not the solution.
There is no courtyard
only a beige wall with careful hedges
and a shadow made of dirt 
tracing scorched geometry on concrete 
where once a gazebo grazed. Beyond the wall
is a dumpster, a construction machine,
a parking lot.

Hard water hits the husk
and I am porcelain.
The shower curtain screams
when moved. To flush 
appears to tear a hole,
shouting suction, through the night
to reach or pull whatever there is
beyond. 

A hotel: O, pattern book of vague hospitality,
of repeating sterile and sterile
repeating, of squares and stairs
and sleek machined chairs,
molded soles and well-worn carpet 
patterned never to reveal a spill.

I think they put the drier 
down the hall on a respirator
or an IV drip that is no longer
dripping and is that why you always said to 
defrib before bed? 

The shower taps out 
only hollow time. I don't
know what the effect is.
Osteoporotic jazz?
Beating again the tub wall
of ages no one is counting.

I don't know how to end things.
I never did. A twisted wreck,
though? A cardiac event 
and fourteen broken ribs?

Standing on a porcelain husk
in the Courtyard
Marriot outside Trenton
I am naked and cannot bear 
staying here, I will scrub 
and scrub until the odor of ages
one through one hundred,
the grease from all thoughts of passing,
Southwest seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment