Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Lune

Yo, writerly friends.

SO! I wanted to hop back on the poetry train but was having trouble finding a station. Lucky for me, I work an arts admin job and sometimes they send me to seminars and often those seminars begin with creative activities because that's how we prove we're arts administrators and not pedestrian heartless sellout administrators.

Anyway I went to this meeting tonight and the opening activity was to write a very short poem called a "lune." I have not researched this but I assume it is a basic American bastardization of the Haiku. Here is a lune that explains the composition of a lune:

Lune
Three words here
Five on the next line
Ends on question?

I thought I'd tell you about the lune because it helped me write something creative today for the first time in six months, and maybe you would like to write one with me. Here is my lune.

Decisions
Clarity isn't transparent.
Rather: one solid, firm color.
Is that unclear?

Anyway, hello poets. I'm back in your world now, play with me.

4 comments:

  1. I find the format very odd in that it focuses on number of words rather than syllables or accents... what possible advantage or tool can that provide the poet? any ideas?

    anyway, my lune:

    Lune Blues

    The blue moon
    Swooned beneath the blue dunes:
    Will you? Soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me a bit of the oulipo exercises we did for cnf. i think it's a good tool for discovering something new or surprising in your writing. i also think it's a good tool if you're stuck on ideas or having trouble just starting.

    i think a constrained form that forces you to write something in a way that's not your own style or in a way that doesn't come naturally (any one remember the exercise where we couldn't use the letter E?) can help build, break and re-build your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dinah, let's play!

    my lune:

    Embedded

    These delicate bones
    Curl stiffly at the wrist.
    Did they break?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are hard,
    Harder than they seem.
    I mean, right?

    ReplyDelete