Monday, April 4, 2011

Poem for April 3rd

The next night, on our journey, a scene occurred.
A more graphic pen is required to paint its
weird details. This was one of the places where the earth
was in a state: the fire begins a long way below,
burns slowly, still more slowly, creates great
hollows. And there is always danger of breaking
the crust and sinking into the fire.
Night came on, and all was gloom. By and by
I thought I saw in the distance several lights;
going farther the lights became a glare;
we emerged and stood in open space.
What an unearthly scene! The whole earth
for miles full of flickers of fire, flames
of many colors - red, gold, blue, and purple - darted up
on every hand, some forked and jagged, some javelin
straight, rising above, in places licking
the dust, then, gaining fresh energy, springing
high as the others. Coming full out of the dark
I half fancied those flames were endowed with
life: a high carnival of curious creatures let loose
for a time from their prison-house.
Clouds of smoke swept into our eyes, and the
hot stifling air choked us. After looking some
time, we moved forward. I never expected
to get through alive; but death was better
than turning back. Slowly we picked our way,
and trembled. All went well for about three
miles. Suddenly, behind, a cry - We stopped
and waited for the worst. There came dashing
into the midst a frightened horse,
it tore along, the mad creature bounded
on, went far ahead, crashing
against half-burnt trunks of trees.
All were straining after the one that had
disappeared, but we pushed on, the smoke
still blinding. Soon we entered a splendid
forest; and, coming from vivid light into
darkness, the darkness to me was blackness
indeed. As my eyes grew accustomed I could see
the white tip of my dog's tail. This faithful
friend, a black collie, with a white tail;
so I kept my eyes fixed on that little bit
of white, and felt as long as I could see
it, I was safe. If the white spot
disappeared, I knew we must be prepared.

-from Kate Marsden, On Sledge and Horseback to Outcast Siberian Lepers

No comments:

Post a Comment