Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rats With Wings

Their claws scrape
across the metal
box dangling
from my window.

Each morning I hear the hoots
echoing about the brick-
lined alley outside my room,
signaling an imminent landning.

They descend. And
with each talon
that rasps across the A/C vent,
I twinge, feeling the nails
across my skin.

What do they want so badly?

Will pecking their way
into my room yield
some prize?
There's nothing so great
in here to justify
such effort.

Is the ledge beneath my
Frigidaire so appealing?
Are they just antagonizing me?
Or, like so many New Yorkers,
do they have to banish someone
else, to find a place
to sleep?


4 comments:

  1. Dude, why did we both write poems about pigeons today? That is weird and unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, pigeoneers. And don't forget my clutch pigeon quote from last night - we all have piegon on the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piegon?

    Pie
    gone?

    But why
    is the pie gone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose there is something in the air.

    ReplyDelete