Sunday, April 11, 2010

60 Minutes

There's an old man on TV
complaining that I don't cherish time.

He tells me not to make plans,
because in their anticipation 
life will pass me by.

Yet, just two weeks ago, 
when I felt down, his advice
was that time heals all wounds.

So tonight I asked him, "Andy,
what would you have me do?
Should I just sit here,
slowly bleeding?"

He smirked and replied,
"take my advice, you brat.
It's gotten me this far,
and that makes me an expert."

But I don't hear the old man.

I'm hypnotized
by his wobbling jowls,
and by thinking of how to avoid 
becoming as smug as him.

3 comments:

  1. "wobbling jowls!" yes.

    there's a specific feeling I get when i hear that ticker on 60 minutes, and I think this captures it--

    maybe it's just me, but you should know that when I read "I felt down" i thought you were talking about masturbating, for a second, and i'm pretty sure you don't want that, although the image of masturbating to 60 minutes is both supremely hilarious and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the sense of this relationship developed between the younger speaker and the 60 minutes man of wobbling jowls - there's a youth/seniority relationship that, with all the advice about time and what to do and the short-but-similar length stanzas reminds me of a A. E. Housmann or a Horace poem.

    i also don't even know that you need stanza 3 - it doesn't feel as economical as the other stanzas and i think it might help the poem maintain sharper focus to jump from "life will pass me by." right to "So tonight I asked him, 'Andy,"

    ReplyDelete
  3. good narrative with a lot of room to make an even better second draft - i like ian's advice for this.

    my main advice: the last line is telling us something we should definitely know from the poem. if the reader doesn't grasp that line from the previous writing, then something's likely wrong.

    ReplyDelete