Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Where the Mail Trucks Sleep

I like to live where the mail trucks sleep,
to see them safely stowed
each night as I file to my bed
and they along the road.

Not snow nor rain nor heat or gloom
affects their nightly pose,
and I in turn am comforted
toward my own repose.

These stately beasts that fume by day,
that honk and puff and glower
stand magnificent at night
as proof of stately power.

Goodnight, sweet trucks, and fare thee well,
I wish you peaceful rest
and dreams of sweet deliveries
upon tomorrow's quest.

1 comment:

  1. I read this as a political poem and how the liberal slowly becomes inculcated to The Man.

    not really. really tight ballad, the meter and rhymes are ideal. and i actually like the repetition of stately, as it takes on such a different meaning.

    ReplyDelete