Monday, April 2, 2012

Communicado

Ping, I think, as the heavy blue hinge
pulls shut the wedge that has eaten
my letter. Ping, as the cat leaps
to the sound of kibble filling her bowl.

Ping, as I ask a question to my supervisor to
which I already know the answer. Ping, I am
still here. Ping, I am paying attention. Ping,
I believe I have covered my ass now.

Thank the lord I was not born a lighthouse.
I shudder to imagine the jagged wood
crashing against my shins each time I couldn’t
be bothered to make my presence known.

In the “relationship” a brand forms with
consumers, we speak of touches: this banner
ad a touch, that email another, a prime-time
touch will touch millions with a single gesture.

Ping, I think, checking in with my mother every Shabbos.
Ping, as I give my kiss goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. Dinah! This is really great. I especially love stanzas 3 and 5. I feel like something about the 4th stanzas needs to be explored a bit more. The prime-time touch sentence is really attention grabbing, but seems a tad underdeveloped.

    Maybe, express consent on a new line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right, consent is besides the point. Trying a small edit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also love stanza 3. Ping. Miss you, girl.

    ReplyDelete