Sunday, April 1, 2012

Flat Affect

I'm not old enough
to be world-weary, even if, except for the few
religious ecstatics, every poet I read seems to live
in that dull grey of bathetic morning wilting
into unending night. No, not
when the apprehension of a single hair out of
place makes me want to shave the entire scalp, not when,
late evening, tuning each body part toward the lull of sleep,
still I do not do anything
but stare wide-eyed at the newly turned underside of a leaf
of a thought as my blood – so
much – throbs with such percussion I cannot tell if what
wildly shakes is me, or the bed, or the whole
earth. They say: no tears
but in things; no ideas but in
grief – yet what I read as an eternal dinner with the alcoholic cousin
and his alcoholic wife and their two sick-eyed ugly kids,
having to swallow the inescapability of avoiding the memory
of all of this, that struggle to define the precise flatness of the
soda, is rather a consuming fire
fevering up until where I turn the page
is marked by the char left behind.

2 comments:

  1. love the bathetic morning/mourning play, as always.

    i wouldn't break the line about the hair out of place the way you do, maybe, because while there's a lot of frustration emanating from this poem, i don't believe the speaker is actually about the shave the scalp, and the break seems to be an avoidable hair out of place, unless there's some structural reason to NEED to break that line weirdly, which would be an awesome thing to build in.

    i also love the tuned/turned play, but there are a lot of "of"s in that statement, and it becomes very hard to follow the thought... underside of a leaf of a thought that is not separated by punctuation from the blood... i'm not sure you gain more than you lose in the complexity here.

    the word "ugly" sticks out, and inescapability of avoiding seems like a double negative? or something? something that could be simplified?

    the precise flatness of the soda is a wonderfully apt distraction from what you're actually trying to define. don't dilute the fire image with fever, we know the fire is in you because you leave the mark when turning the page, it is wonderful as pure fire that associates with your body in the last moment.

    whatevs just a couple of thoughts, i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The underside of a leaf gave me the most pause, but it's also my favorite turn in this poem. I'm a bit with Dinah. I don't mind the "of"s, but I think the "as my blood" comes in too close to your stretching of the leaf image to an abstraction.

    Last line kills.

    ReplyDelete