Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Adoption

They were beautiful, and barren, blithely fishing.
The woman was wading in the water.
In the shallows of a sandbar, caught my brother.
She adopted him, a son, like a fish pulled out.
She saw nothing but silver in the fish, nothing else.
The man with the face planes I would inherit
Idled his fingers in the country's long water.
And he thought of nothing. He was watching my mother.
The fishermen's wives were silent to the strangers.
They mended the nets that my brother had broken.
At the prow my salted brother was drying in the sun.
They took him home and life as he remembers it begun.

3 comments:

  1. These lines-as-sentences are perfect. absolutely wonderful. In all this reads sort of like the beginning to an epic lyric about your brother - in an anne carson way i guess.

    surely you meant 'barren?'

    nothing else to say about this. just remarkable how round the characters here are already. want so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your brother Moses? Is this a passover poem? I like it.

    ReplyDelete