Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Untitled

When you stare through the glass of the el window,
You can will poetry into any picture.
Stare long enough
And the metaphors overwhelm,
So seemingly full of profound poetic possibility
I cannot bend or form them.

Misspelled graffiti so large you can read it blocks away. Does ‘cock’ seem meaningful this morning because of the size of its letters or because tomorrow they will vanish under a wash of black paint?

The homeless stranger who screams Thank you, thank you now at the same intersection every morning, the words escaping from his mouth with only the slightest twitch at the corner of his eyes, as if he is not entirely accustomed to expressing gratitude to those whom it has never been due.

The light that comes on beneath your feet, beneath the sidewalk grate, illuminating a ladder as you step.

The arrangement of the words APPROACHES TO VALUE.

I am incapable of reflection,
of taking the lives I stare at and folding them
into prose or verse.

I watch them until I hear my blood
pounding behind my eyes.
I challenge someone
to make eye contact,
I am terrified they will.

Stare is from storren, to stand out, project. I do not want to think and so I stare. I try to fill these vessels, trying not to see the projection of my own hollowness through the window.

Is there poetry in a train car filled with rows of people, heads bowed together, reading the same newspaper in unison? Is this less of an act of worship than the screaming woman in the wheelchair who prayed for each one of us? Jesus I compel you, lay your blessed hands upon this bus driver and all bus drivers.

Clapping, singing, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

5 comments:

  1. hey karen!

    i changed the formatting of your post a bit, and added a label, because it was a bit screwy with the html for some reason.

    more substantial post coming later, good to see you on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tim! My computer at work was being strange so I was going to fix the html when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, i just noticed, that the link for this specific comment-spotted page ends in the tag: "normal-0-false-false-false.html"

    hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to sound contradictory given my comments about my Matin poem, but I can't figure out what the more self-reflective pieces are adding to the poem. For one, I like having the poem start with the visions/metaphors, instead of you preparing us for them. Also, you wrote that the metaphors 'overwhelm,' but i didn't get that feeling reading through your list - which might be a sign to let yourself go off the deep end and twist these scenes into extravagantly weird pictures.

    i'm a sucker for religious stuff, so i loved the bits at the end, but i think they could be tied in more, or a different poem. and i would suggest losing the 'stare' section which took me out of the landscape of seeing images wash past.

    good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KAREN. FINALLY. HELLO.

    i think if you placed the religious stuff at the end--these daily actions in the city that you imbue with such meaning--would work well placed higher in the poem. like maybe placing the "Is there poetry" part in the beginning?

    also, karen. our white space issues are so deftly ignored in poetry. don't you love?

    ReplyDelete